Traditional Preschool vs Montessori Preschool
Raising children can be hard. It is a constant struggle of worrying that you have made the right or wrong decision. One of the biggest decisions is childcare and education. Do you homeschool, enroll your child in public school, or look for alternatives that work for your child’s unique needs? If your child is preschool age, you might want to consider enrolling your child in a Montessori school. Here is a look at traditional preschool vs Montessori preschool:
Preschool can be very beneficial for a child’s academic development. All preschools are licensed and accredited by the state and follow certain curricula in order to function. The purpose of preschool is to lay the appropriate ground work so kids can advance on to kindergarten. In most cases, traditional preschool will only accept children over the age of 3 years old and are focused on set curriculum standards.
With traditional preschool:
- The teacher is the center of the classroom.
- Curriculum is preset and structured for the children.
- Child is given set amounts of time for work and play.
- Instruction and pace is set according to the group.
- Child is given assigned seating and workspace and is expected to sit still.
- Learning is done by repetition and reinforcement.
Montessori preschool operates around the Montessori method of education, which offers more hands-on, individualized learning for children. In a Montessori school, children are allowed to fully engage in their learning environment, work at their own pace, and are given tools for social and cognitive development. Like traditional preschool, the child’s education is the priority, but the methodology is very different. Montessori preschool has not age limit, and can begin when the child is less than one-year-old.
With Montessori preschool:
- The teacher guides the child during child-focused activities.
- The environment encourages self-discipline.
- Child sets their own learning pace.
- Child is encouraged to explore their environment, work where they choose, and collaborate with other children.
- Child learns using multi-sensory, self-correcting activities.
Montessori preschool believes in helping children thrive by taking advantage of a child’s natural curiosity, energy, and love of learning. Our method builds social and academic skills, grows self-esteem and self-discipline, and encourages your child’s strengths and interests. If you want a preschool education that focuses on the unique needs and learning style of your child, a Montessori school is the way to go.